Vai al contenuto

Hello Everyone

245luigi

Hello, my name is Alex/Alessandro. I am a vintage Vespa rider in the USA for 10 years now. I am also Italo-Americano. My family came from/lives in Catania. I visit every summer. Last year I bought a 79 P150X to keep in Catania. Unfortunately it needs works that I did not expect when I bought it :( Oh well this is how vintage scooter life is lol.

Nevertheless I am so excited to actually ride in Sicily. I have thousands of questions, mostly trying to figure out things that I can easily do myself in the US but are unfamiliar to me in Italy. In Italy it is so common to see Vespa mechanics and part sellers. Its amazing. What kind of things can I expect the part sellers to have and not to have in the store? If I go to a mechanic, what is a typical turn around time? Are there any kind of shows/markets where I can find used parts? Where do I go if I need bulbs, transmission oil, carb cleaner, 2T oil, grease? Where can I get tires and get them mounted (previous owner put on FA Italia tubeless rims).

Grazie ragazzi!

Modificato da 245luigi
Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Also, is there anything I need to know about keeping the scooter in Italy? I have the "title" (Carta di Circolazione), I have insurance, and I am registered in Vespa Club Catania. Do I need to have emissions checked ever? Is there any fees I pay ("registration" in the US, usually you pay the state every year or two years)?

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

Hi Alessandro, welcome. 

Most of cities in Italy have a store for vespa parts, it's easy to find almost all you need there, expecially in south of the country, Sicily included. 

In any case, for other parts (or for saving money), on the online stores you can order everything you need and get it in few days. 

2t oil, maintenence supplies, bulbs etc are also sold into ipermarkets, or fuel stations. 

Regarding burocracy, you need to have a complete vehicle check (called "revisione") every 2 years, where out of general condition of the bike are checked also emissions, tire conditions, brakes, lamps and horn functioning etc. 

There also an yearly regional fee to be paid for circulating, normally for historical vehicles is not so expensive, ask your Vespa Club for amount and how to, I live in another region in north Italy and fee is different from region to region. 

If you need further informations...we are always here. 

Bye

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

1 minute ago, Pier2162 said:

Hi Alessandro, welcome. 

Most of cities in Italy have a store for vespa parts, it's easy to find almost all you need there, expecially in south of the country, Sicily included. 

In any case, for other parts (or for saving money), on the online stores you can order everything you need and get it in few days. 

2t oil, maintenence supplies, bulbs etc are also sold into ipermarkets, or fuel stations. 

Regarding burocracy, you need to have a complete vehicle check (called "revisione") every 2 years, where out of general condition of the bike are checked also emissions, tire conditions, brakes, lamps and horn functioning etc. 

There also an yearly regional fee to be paid for circulating, normally for historical vehicles is not so expensive, ask your Vespa Club for amount and how to, I live in another region in north Italy and fee is different from region to region. 

If you need further informations...we are always here. 

Bye

Grazie mille per tutte l'informazione. For parts I must stay local because I do not have the luxury of time. I am usually only in Sicily 2 - 4 weeks in the summer and would rather ride than wrench ha! Wow I did not know about the revisione. Do they send me something in the mail? What is the penalty if I don't do it? The carro attrezi takes my bike?

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

The last "revisione" date is written on the "libretto" (normally they apply a sticker), and you must book in one of the centers to renew within the month of expiring. You'll not get any mail or communication if you are not registered on the portal, it's up to you to provide regularly to the "revisione". 

If police stops you and "revisione" is expired, you get a fine (173 to 694 euros) and you have to make "revisione" immediately. The main problem of drive the vespa with "revisione" expired is that assurance company can refuse to pay in case of  incident, and all expenses can be charged to you. 

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

I don't think I have a libretto? The only document is a carta di circolazione, but I see this "Revisione effetuata con esito *REGOLARE* Data 22.05.2018 (CTA#########) SILENZ.: ASP. 3884 S SCAR. 32444S". Uh oh lol

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti

I don't think so....they will not check cubic capacity of the engine, may be the only concern is for the exhaust if it will be too noisy...they check decibel value. 

I've the same configuration on my px150, except the exhaust (i've a Sito), never had troubles at the revisione. 

Link al commento
Condividi su altri siti